Getting A Grip

The stock shift knob has a really great feel. It comes in at 198g of weight and feels nice dimensionally in the hand. Interior mods are very subjective. I don’t really believe there is one specific setup for everyone and anyone’s driving method. Some prefer a nice and heavy weighted shift knob to help with the added momentum of shifts but there are always pros and cons to everything. I wasn’t a fan of a “blob” style shift knob, so I looked for a taller shift knob that brought the shift knob closer to the steering wheel. The Carbing shift knob has a knurled finish which adds some really awesome grip to it. You can really “feel” things moving as a result of shifting instead of extra weight masking it all.

The shift knob is 85mm x 30mm and weighs 119g. It comes in a variety of anodized finishes and sports the Carbing logo at the base. It comes with 5 and 6 speed shift pattern stickers, which I chose to not apply anywhere. The stock shift knob has a plastic reverse lockout that feels great but it’s stock. So…we have to replace it right? The reverse lockout doesn’t make any difference other than for looks. Using a center punch, I knocked out the old one and replaced it with a Beatrush silver one to match the shift knob. At some point, I want to polish both at some point but for now, I’m content.

Anything that helps me become a better driver, whether it is more seat time on the track (which, obviously right now is non-existent) or small touge runs at night is appreciated. I strongly feel the more comfortable you are in your car, the larger the opportunity to become better at driving spirited. The pre-production gas pedal in the FR-S had a notched added to it which greatly reduced the gap between brake and gas. I’m guessing they chose not to keep this for production cars because of how easy it can be to brake and gas at the same time. Now, if you’re anything like me as far as foot flexibility goes, you might have a hard time with heel-toe in this car. I hated only getting maybe 70% of my heel-toes executed and butchering the other 30%, so I installed a Cusco pedal cover. It attaches around the gas pedal and is full reversible which is nice if you don’t want to drill your pedal.

With the anti-slip rubber pad on and the hardware tightened, I took it for a test drive. I instantly had a better time driving my car, I seriously should have done this from the start. I’m sure there are other options out there but for no real reason, I went with Cusco’s pedal.

Here you can see the clamps, the Nyloc nuts, and internal hex screws used to mount it. Instead of trying to wiggle my body down to the foot well to install this thing screw by screw, I decided to remove the gas pedal from the car to install it. It’s held on by two 10mm bolts and has connector for the pedal signal. I removed the connector first as removing the pedal from the sockets will put all the tension on the connector wire…which isn’t ideal.

Although it has a smooth finish, I have no real problems with my foot slipping off the pedal. If you have any issues, you can always use some skateboard grip tape.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *